Cross country team ends season after six meets

Wolverines+do+A-skips+on+Ted+Slavin+Field+to+warm-up+for+their+first+meet+against+Loyola+High+School+on+Feb.+13.+

Justin Goldstein

Wolverines do A-skips on Ted Slavin Field to warm-up for their first meet against Loyola High School on Feb. 13.

Amelia Scharff

After a long sports hiatus due to COVID-19, the cross country team has finished their shortened season, with the recent meet at home leaving the girls team undefeated and the boys team 2-3 this season.

After practicing since the beginning of the school year, the squad started its season against Loyola High School on Feb. 13 at Ted Slavin Field, which was the first athletic competition held on campus since COVID-19 forced the school to suspend in-person activities in March 2019. Although the boys team lost to Loyola High School at the meet, the squad defeated Crespi Carmelite High School for its first win of the season Feb. 20. Runners on the girls team were allowed to compete in these meets against all-boys schools for practice.

The girls team also competed and won against Marymount High School on Feb. 27, where sister-duo Daniela Quintero ’22 and Natalia Quintero ’21 came in first and second place, respectively. Daniela Quintero had a strong season, coming in first place in all of her races.

“After not being able to race for months, it’s encouraging to see the consistent training that I put in pay off,” Quintero said.

The cross country team also hosted Notre Dame High School on March 6, with the girls team defeating the Knights and the boys losing.

Chronicle Assistant News Editor Will Sheehy ’22 had the fastest time in the boys race of 15:52.4, while Daniela Quintero won the girls race with a time of 17:33.4.

Because of COVID-19 restrictions, the format of the meets has changed, as the races are now conducted for two to three miles on the track. This is different from a typical cross country meet that occurs on courses where runners run on dirt and grass.

In addition, the squad competed in Mission League meets last year against various schools all at once, but now the meets are smaller. Masks must be worn at all times until the beginning of each race, and restrictions have shortened the cross country season, which will end March 20 after just six meets.

Violet Barron ’22 said that because of the modifications, she has missed the team aspect of cross country.

“It’s definitely been a little sad not being able to cheer [my teammates] on [during] the other races,” Barron said. “Although things certainly changed this year, I think we’re all just glad to be racing again.”

Despite fewer competing seniors on the team due to the pandemic, Will Samuels ’22 said the group hasn’t lacked leadership.

“It has also been tough losing so many teammates who don’t feel comfortable with the current state of the pandemic, especially seniors, but the leadership has hardly been impaired,” Samuels said. “Everyone is motivated to succeed in such an odd season, so we are all kind of leading each other right now.”

Samuels said he and his teammates are excited to be racing again after the hiatus.

“Overall, everyone is happy to be running and competing again, so we haven’t been complaining about the changes in the way we practice and race,” Samuels said.

In their most recent match, the girls team beat Flintridge Sacred Heart to improve to 3-0, and the boys lost to Chaminade College Prep, making their overall record 2-3.