Girls’ soccer aims for 3rd Mission League title in 4 years

After winning the Mission League last year, the girls’ varsity soccer team is looking to repeat the success, while going farther in CIF.

One of the dominant seniors, Hannah Lichtenstein ’13, has been out with a stress fracture in her foot and has been wearing a boot to prevent further injury. Lichtenstein said that the stress fracture occurred from excessive use and the pain got progressively worse.

“My boot doesn’t really affect my involvement with the team,” Lichtenstein said. “Sure, I can’t play or lift right now but I still yell at freshmen, stay for trainings and everything else.”

Lichtenstein expects to return for the teams’ first game of the season.

The team has been weightlifting and practicing to prepare for the upcoming season.

There are a number of exciting freshmen that have been named to the varsity team. Courtney Corrin ’16 and Quinn Frankel ’16 are two top freshmen who can play a big role in the team.

“Courtney Corrin is a superhuman athlete and her speed will be trouble for a lot of defenses this year,” Lichtenstein said. “Quinn Frankel, as well, is a tricky player who will help us out. Both are going to be great additions for our already dangerous attack this season.”

Last year, the Wolverines finished 14-3-4 overall, but lost to San Clemente in the CIF quarter-finals in a penalty shootout.

Center midfielder, Courtney O’Brien ’15, says that she is very excited for the competitive games that the team will play this season. This will be O’Brien’s second year playing on the varsity soccer team. Last year, O’Brien started on varsity and plans on keeping that starting spot.

“I really want to win CIF championships so I hope we come together as a team and play really well this year,” O’Brien said.

Lichtenstein says that she is eager to see the team progress that each player has made since the end of their last season.

“Many of our players have moved to different teams and are playing at the highest level of club soccer. I’m looking forward to seeing how that experience will translate to the high school season,” Lichtenstein said.

The Wolverines’ first gameof the season will be a scrimmage against Marymount on Nov. 20. Their first official game will be on Dec. 3 against Calabasas. The team plays their first home game on Dec. 5 against El Camino Real.

“We had a lot of younger players last year who have now played a year of varsity and that experience will be very helpful,” Lichtenstein said. “I think this year’s team has unlimited potential.”