Lacrosse hires 4th new coach in 4 years

Following two consecutive Mission League championships, the boys’ lacrosse team will begin the season with a different man at the helm, as former assistant coach Alexander Weber takes over as  head coach.

Former coach Jay Pfeifer, who resigned in order to pursue a graduate degree at Johns Hopkins University, led the team to a Mission League championship last season.

Weber, who played four seasons of Division I college lacrosse at the University of Pennsylvania, said he hopes to blend the culture of the program with that of the East Coast systems he has been a part of in the past.

“Simply put, I want our players to be focused, play hard and have fun winning with their teammates,” he said.

Despite the major success enjoyed by the program on the field, players believe there is room to improve in other areas, including practice habits.

“The entire program here has gotten a bad reputation, and people are getting the wrong impression of the game,” Brooks Hudgins ’14 said.

Players say that under Weber’s leadership, the team will look to fix the problems. Ben Klein ’14 said major strides have already been made in the right direction.

“I think he is really trying to change the culture around lacrosse. He’s really trying to make us work a little harder,” he said.

The team opens the season with a game at Beverly Hills High School on Friday, March 1. However, last year’s leading scorer, Ross O’Shea ’14, will most likely not be on the field, as he underwent hip surgery during the offseason and has only recently left his wheelchair.

“He’s a natural scorer, and he delivered some big time goals for us last year,” Weber said. “Things happen in sports, that’s part of it. You have to make the next play, and the next play for us is to keep preparing to nail our goals. I know we will.”

As for expectations for the upcoming season, the Wolverines’ new coach kept them simple.

“Expectations are to win every game, win the league, and enjoy every second of it,” Weber said. “I can’t say if this will all happen, but I can say is that we will do everything we possibly can to achieve it.”