Golf embraces experience in coach’s second season

Head Coach Tony Kewalramani will begin his second season with the boys’ golf team this upcoming spring, and has implemented changes even before the season has started. The team opens its season Feb. 28 against Brentwood. Their league opener is on March 5 against St. Francis.

Kewalramani, who led the team to a 8-4 league record last year, has changed the tryouts for the team. They are now spending less time establishing the members of the team, instead focusing on getting more time to practice as a team in order to improve chemistry.

The Wolverines, although young, will be more experienced.

Kewalramani cited the experience young players such as Adrian Berger ’15, Tyler Graham ’15 and Jeffrey Aronson ’15 gained last year with the varsity team. With the loss of Charlie Benell ’12, who graduated in June, Kewalramani will call upon them to step up as well as his upperclassmen, such as captain Michael Aronson ’13 and Bakari Bolden ’14, whom Kewalramani describes as someone who “is not only an amazing golfer, but also has qualities of leadership that several players on the team are trying to imitate”.

The third year varsity player Bolden has set high goals for himself and the team, hoping to win league both individually and as a team.

“I feel as if the team is seen as the underdog this year, but there is a lot of hidden talent,” Bolden said. “I think we are ready to go out there and show them what we’ve got.”