Drama teacher doubles as baseball fanatic

Cinema studies and performing arts teacher Ted Walch traveled to Cary, North Carolina during Spring Break to watch the varsity baseball team compete in the USA Baseball National High School Invitational.

A baseball fanatic and a strong follower of the Wolverine team, Walch thought it would be fun to go down to the USA Baseball Complex in North Carolina to enjoy the games and spend time with the parents. Being a teacher of many of the baseball players, Walch makes it to almost all of the team’s games, both home and away, in California.

Although Walch has been to a handful of games during his 22-year teaching career, he had never been to one of the team’s tournaments until now.

“I hope it will become an annual event, but this year was my first,” Walch said. “I wanted to go last year but it conflicted with a commitment I had made to my alma mater Kenyon College. If it becomes a tradition, this year will be the kick starter.”

Walch said that he   thoroughly enjoys watching the team play and being a part of the overall Harvard-Westlake baseball experience.

Walch said his favorite moment of this season was “watching Jack Flaherty get himself out of tight situation, very much in need of a third out, by picking off a guy at first.”

Infielder Ezra Steinberg ’15 appreciates Walch’s support of  the team.

“Mr. Walch is great,” Steinberg said. “It was really awesome having him there. It was really nice to see a familiar face like Mr. Walch in the stands along with our parents. Mr. Walch is like a part of the team, he knows the players on and off the field.”