Field hockey team seeks redemption after 1-0 finals loss

After claiming victory in the Mission League title game but losing to Huntington Beach in the Los Angeles Field Hockey Association Championship last year, the field hockey team will look to redeem itself and excel as the top team in Southern California in 2013.

In the 2012 season, the field hockey team accumulated 16 wins and two losses on its road to a third Mission League Title in the last ten years.

“We worked really hard to make it as far as we did and obviously the outcome was disappointing, but, I was really proud of how we came together as a team throughout the season,” stopper Hana Chop ’14 said.

The Huntington Beach Oilers not only squelched the squad’s championship aspirations last year, but were also responsible for one of its two league losses, leaving the Wolverines winless against Huntington in the 2012 season.

Huntington Beach has been a recurring roadblock, also eliminating the team in the semi finals of the 2011 playoffs. The team is aspiring to look past last year’s playoff defeat and triumph in a Tournament of Champions victory. The Wolverines will play the Oilers Sept. 10.

“We aren’t necessarily marking our calendars but were definitely looking forward to [facing Huntington Beach],” co-captian Brooke Bagnall ’14 said. “I think we just need to work together, communicate, and keep up the intensity.”

In her 10th year as head coach, Erin Creznic has led the team to three league titles and was chosen as the Southern Section Fall Coach of the Year by the California Coaches’ Association Southern Section selection committee on Jan. 7.

Glenne Carter ’14 and Bagnall are the the co-capitans of the team. Carter played last year’s finals game injured, with torn ligaments and two micro fractures in her ankle.
“The drills [Coach Creznic] runs in practice really help us during the game,” Carter said

“She also had great assistant coaches so we get different perspectives and ideas on how to improve. I think we need to work on passing the ball and staying strong on defense.”

The field hockey team graduated eight seniors last year and will look to the leadership of four new seniors to continue the strong run. Despite the loss of veterans and is confident in the abilities of the team’s underclassmen.

“We wouldn’t have made it nearly as far as we did without them,” Bagnall said. “I think we have a great team this year. We have amazing new players as well as strong upperclassmen.”

“This year I know we have a really strong returning varsity and a lot of upcoming talent and I’m really optimistic about this season,” Chop said.

The field hockey team’s first game is at Marina High School on Sept. 6. against rival Glendora at their High School’s home field.