Boys’ soccer season to open against Oaks Christian in non-league match

After finishing Mission League play in third place last year, the boys’ soccer team will enter its season in a non-league matchup against Oaks Christian Nov. 25 hampered by an exodus of players to academy teams. The squad will also face Campbell Hall Dec. 3 before competing in their first home game of the season against Cathedral Dec. 12.

“We are going into the season with the best attitudes possible, and even though we’ve lost some personnel with kids leaving for college and academy, I think we can put a solid team on the field and win games,” center midfielder Jonathan Klein ’15 said.

The Wolverines went 7-4-2 last season in league play, and were handed two of their four loses by rival Loyola . The squad also started CIF playoffs with a first round win against Dana Hills, but fell to San Clemente in the second round.

This year’s club will participate in the South Holiday Tournament at Torrance High School and Oceanside Tournament in San Diego, before opening their league season against Crespi High School Jan. 8 at Ted Slavin Field.

“Every team’s goal going into the start of a season is to win league, and it’s no different with us,” Klein said. “We’ve been training and lifting since the start of school two to three days a week, and now that winter season is coming around we’re going to train every day to get ready for league.”

The squad finished third in league last year, one game ahead of Crespi.

The Wolverines will matchup against league rival Loyola twice this season and will seek revenge against the squad after falling short both times to the Cubs last year.

The first match will be a home game for the Wolverines Jan. 24, while the club will finish league play Feb. 10 at Loyola High School. The Cubs were undefeated last season in league play with a 12-0 record.

“Looking at the season, I believe we have a strong team and we have what it takes to do well and succeed in the Mission League,” starting forward Patrick Angelo ’14 said.