Prefects explain revised clubs policies

Tate Sheehy

Prefect Council announced they will accept fewer club applications this year in an email Aug. 15. The email cited the school’s changing schedule, which includes a shortened break period, as a reason for restricting the number of clubs. 

Prefect Council also said teachers have raised issues with students using their classrooms during lunch periods, as it interferes with test retakes and meetings. As a result, approved groups may have to find time to gather outside of the usual lunch and break periods.

Head Prefect Simon Lee ’23  said clubs able to impress Prefect Council with their Google Form proposals are likely to have their applications approved.

“We’re trying our best to give as many groups as possible a chance to meet,” Lee said. “Prefect Council tends to approve clubs that can demonstrate well thought out plans for the upcoming year and can outline specific goals that they have in mind. Generally, we tend to give existing clubs priority, though that doesn’t mean that every returning club will be approved and every new club disapproved.”

In previous years, students interested in joining clubs attended the Activities Fair, a platform for club leaders to introduce their groups to students. Sophomore Prefect Daisy Pritzker ’25 said the Activities Fair will remain in a similar format to how it had been before. 

“Clubs will be approved before the Activities Fair, and only approved clubs will be allowed to run a booth,” Pritzker said. “Other than a potentially lower number of participating clubs, the Activities Fair will not be affected by the new policies.”

Lee said clubs that are not approved by Prefect Council may not meet on campus due to legal reasons outlined by the school, but they may gather elsewhere.

“Unfortunately, due to legal liability issues with the school, denied clubs are not allowed to meet on their own terms on-campus,” Lee said. “Obviously, they can continue to meet off-campus and recruit at school, but the school’s insurance policy means that non-approved groups cannot meet within school boundaries.”

Bear Boxes Club Leader Kendra Ross ’23 said if her club is approved, being forced to meet after school could be problematic due to other commitments.

“Changing meeting times to after school may conflict with schedules and extracurriculars,” Ross said. “Club members who may really want to participate wouldn’t be able to because of their after-school plans or homework load. I prefer club meetings during school. That way everyone can participate and contribute.”