Community Health Office organizes flu shot and COVID-19 vaccine clinics

Alden Detmer/Chronicle

FOURTH TIME’S THE CHARM: The Community Health Office hosted COVID-19 booster and flu shot clinics in St. Saviour’s Chapel. The clinics are a continuation of the school’s work to prevent students from contracting COVID-19 and protect the community during the flu season.

Samuel Glassman

Elements Pharmacy partnered with the school to hold booster shot and flu vaccination clinics at both the middle school and upper school campuses Sept. 4-8. The booster clinics were open to faculty members, and the flu vaccine clinics were open to students and faculty.

The Community Health Office said the flu shot clinics are meant to maximize campus and student safety and prevent confusion resulting from the overlap of symptoms between the flu and COVID-19.

Daniella Goldrich ’23 said although she has already gotten a flu shot at her doctor’s office, she is appreciative of the school’s efforts to prevent the spread of illnesses on campus.

“It’s great that the school is doing its part to keep our community safe,” Goldrich said. “I’m particularly grateful that they’re making it easier for students to have access to the flu shot by distributing it at our school. This will make it much easier for our school community to stay healthy during these stressful and uncertain times.”

Andrew Eitner ’23, who received his flu vaccine from the school’s clinic, said the school’s decision to hold the clinics made getting vaccinated more accessible to the community.

“The shot is free [at school], as opposed to other places, so it seemed like the best option,” Eitner said. “It’s a free shot. It was fast and easy.”

Administrative Assistant Patricia Nolte said that she receives the flu shot annually but that she used the school’s vaccine clinic this fall.

“I get vaccinated for the flu every year and have taken [getting vaccinated] for granted so many years now that I would’ve [gotten vaccinated] either way,” Nolte said. “For the most part, I feel comfortable that I’ve done enough to protect myself and others.”

Although she did not go to the school’s vaccination clinic and opted to receive the flu vaccine from her own doctor, Charlotte Hogan ’24 said she welcomes and encourages the school’s efforts to prioritize student health. She said the pandemic has changed the way students and teachers treat mild cold symptoms.

“It’s completely unusual because usually if you’re sick you just power through, [and] you get through the day,” Hogan said. “It’s definitely out of the ordinary [for the school to say], ‘If you have a cold, don’t come to school,’ but I think it’s great that the school is offering vaccines to the whole [school] community.”