School to host relay meet in memory of Carr ’14

Harvard-Westlake will host the first annual Justin Carr ’14 Memorial Relay Meet March 1 at the Copses Family Aquatics Center.

All members of the Mission League will compete, with the times counting towards CIF qualifying, but not towards league standings.

Carr was a member of the swim team who died of cardiomyopathy last February during a swim practice.

“It’s an opportunity to honor Justin. We know how important he was to our community,” Head of Athletics Terry Barnum said. “With the anniversary of his death coming up pretty soon, it’s a nice way to remember him.”

Head coach Jonathan Carroll said the coaches in the Mission League had wanted to do a relay event at the beginning of the season, and in light of Carr’s passing, they decided it was fitting to rename the event to memorialize Carr.

“I’m very excited about it because it’s a way for us to really take the time to commemorate Justin, his contribution to the swimming pool and what he meant to the program,” Carroll said.

Both of Carr’s parents, Susan and Darrell, will be in attendance and present the trophy to the winning teams at the meet. The recording of Carr singing the National Anthem will also be played before the meet, just as it was before the Loyola-Harvard-Westlake football game this past August.

Visual arts teacher, Marianne Hall, who was Carr’s art teacher, designed the trophy. The design is based on an image of Carr doing his favorite swim stroke.

“We’ve been going to swim meets since Justin was in third or fourth grade,” Susan Carr said. “There can be no better way than going to a meet to honor our son in his absence. It’s going to be hard, but I think that the trophy designed by his art teacher is a pure reflection of who Justin was and it will forever remain a part of the Harvard-Westlake community.”