Doubles pairing key to team’s consistency

Although the boys’ tennis team has lost its three biggest matches to University High School, Palos Verdes and San Marino 10-8, it remains undefeated in league with an overall record of 3-3.

“We are losing matches we should be winning,” team co-captain Sam Hummel ’14 said. “All in all, we could definitely be doing better. We should win League again this year.”

“I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we’re a younger team,” co-captain Max Rothman ’14 said. “We’re still trying to figure out some doubles teams.”

“We really just need to solidify a doubles team and have them train together because in each match we’ve only been down one match or so,” said Rothman. “We need that last doubles team to help us get the extra point we need.”

“Two freshmen standouts so far are Adam Sraberg ’17 and Jed Kronenberg ’17,” Rothman said. “Sraberg scored a win over University’s number one singles player and has been a notable singles player.”

“Kronenberg has really stepped up as a doubles player, Rothman said. “He’s going to be a key player in the doubles team we’re looking to put together.”

Aside from freshmen, Rothman pointed to two additions to the coaching staff as being helpful to the team.

“Robert Bo Hardt is one of our assistants who was with us last year but is full time with us now and has really been extremely helpful to the team. He trained in Spain over the summer and has a lot of tips to offer and helps us with our fitness as well,” said Rothman. “Tim Traigero is our new assistant coach and is also extremely helpful. As a former junior US Open champion he really knows what he’s talking about and has extremely insightful words for us during our matches and has definitely helped Sam and me in our doubles.”

The match today against Los Alamitos marks the first meeting between the two teams after the Wolverines beat Los Alamitos in 2013 CIF quarterfinals and made it to the Mission League finals.