Daily News names O’Brien ’15 Player of the Year

Following a disappointing end to their season, a 4-3 loss to Santa Margarita on penalty kicks in the CIF Semifinals on March 4, six members of the girls’ soccer team received all-area honors from the Los Angeles Daily News.
This year’s Wolverine squad featured three all-area second-teamers, two first-teamers and the L.A. Daily News 2014 Player of the Year, Princeton commit Courtney O’Brien ’15.
O’Brien, who scored 22 goals and tallied 11 assists on the year led the Wolverines to a 20-2-2 record, was also named to the CIF Division I first-team and was named the Mission League’s top offensive player.
“I am honored to have been chosen as there are so many great players in the area,” O’Brien said. “I feel privileged to be able to play with so many selfless, hardworking and talented players on my team and to have Richard [Simms] as our coach. Any individual recognition I get is only possible because of my team’s support which allowed me to perform at such a high level this season.”
Fellow teammates Courtney Corrin ’16 and co-captain Lucy Putnam ’14 were named to the all-area first-team, while Quinn Frankel ’16, Jackie Ridgley ’14 and co-captain Malanna Wheat ’14 were named to the second-team.
Corrin, who was named the Big Red Female Athlete of the Year in 2013 for her efforts as a member of both the track and field and soccer teams, also received Mission League co-MVP and Division I first-team honors after finishing the season with 11 goals.
In her final season as a Wolverine, Putnam was named to Division I first-team and was selected as the Mission League’s top defender en-route to the team’s undefeated, 9-0-1 finish in league play this season.
Frankel, a four-star recruit and the 85th best player in the class of 2016 according to topdrawerssoccer.com, started at forward this past season, contributing to the team’s efforts to balance its young talent with its more experienced core, a core that was also defeated in penalties in the CIF semifinals in the season prior.
This past season was Ridgley’s second as the team’s starting goalie. The keeper allowed an average of only 0.67 goals per game this season, including 13 shutouts.
Wheat started at fullback this past season.  The senior committed to Southern Methodist University in June of last year. Players say Wheat played a major leadership role this year.
“I think that without each other’s help none of us would have gotten an award individually,” Frankel said. “We all helped each other to stand out throughout the season and to have that be recognized both individually and as a team is really nice.”