Wolverines head to Homecoming with 44-10 win over Taft

The Wolverines head into their Homecoming encounter with Westchester Sept. 27 after beating Taft 44-10 Sept. 19 to improve their record to 2-1.

Marshal Cohen ’16 started for the first time this season, and since tearing his ACL in week seven against St. Paul last year.

The team’s win was propelled by a dominant defensive performance led by linebacker Carter Begel ’17 and safety Desmond Butler ’15. In his first game on varsity, freshman cornerback Cam Jones ’18 contributed to the defensive effort with a pick six in the third quarter.

“It was a great win, we made a couple mistakes but they are very fixable,” Butler said. “We played hard and we did a lot of good things, which is most important.”

Cohen shared snaps at quarterback with Ryan Dominick ’17 and Noah Rothman ’16. Cohen threw a two-yard touchdown pass to Begel and ran for a 17-yard touchdown on a read option. In the second quarter Rothman threw a 40-yard strike to Dominick, who also saw snaps at wide receiver.

Running back Garrett Robinson ’15 chipped in to the offensive output by running for a 54-yard touchdown, following his two-touchdown performance from last week.

The special teams unit recorded two blocked punts, but also committed three roughing the punter penalties.

“It was a solid win but we have a lot of work to do,” Head Coach Scot Ruggles said. “It’s fun to fix problems after a victory. We got to clean up the penalties and the self inflicted wounds. We did some good things tonight. It would be nice to try to get a homecoming win for the school.”