Library to undergo renovations following end of the school year

Davis Marks/Chronicle

Mudd Library will be closed from June through November for construction as it is remodeled and renovated.

Lily Lee

Mudd Library will be closed for renovations  from the end of the school year to late November, according to Director of Operations Dave Mintz. During the construction period, the Feldman-Horn Gallery will act as a temporary, scaled-down library.

Renovations will include the addition of new group study rooms, a multi-purpose classroom, collaborative workspace near the Kutler Center and more reading nooks, according to Head of Upper School Beth Slattery. Additionally, the Learning Center, which is currently located on the second floor of Seaver Academic Center, will be moved into the current Tech Center and Language Lab.

Slattery said she hopes the new library space will serve as a place for students and teachers to enjoy.

“I’m really excited about the changes because it’s allowing us to be intentional in our use of space,” Slattery said. “We struggle with space on this campus and often we put things wherever they will fit rather than thinking about where they are best-suited. This allows us to think about how space can help students thrive.”

Mintz said the updated library will include comfortable areas for students to relax and read.

“I believe that the student body will find the updated library to be welcoming, exciting and it’s our hope that it becomes the central hub to which students and teachers alike will be drawn,” Mintz said.

Librarian Jessica Wahl said the librarians are excited about the new space and the ways it will support  the student body. 

“We want a space that will serve whatever needs students may have, whether it is a quiet study space or a place to just relax and hang out with friends,” Wahl said. “We think students will enjoy it and see it as a more amplified version of the library they already enjoy.”

Wahl said although the temporary library will hold a limited number of books, students will still have access to textbooks, English curriculum materials and computer chargers.

“Ms. [Kacie] Cox, Ms. [Edith] Darling and myself will still be available to help students with any questions they may have during the renovation,” Wahl said. “Although the library as a study and hang out space won’t be available until after the renovations are complete, we want students to remember that this is just temporary and the library will be back and better than ever.”

Illi Kreiz ’24 said while the construction may be inconvenient, she recognizes the benefits.

“I’m sad that [the library] will be closed for the first few months of school because I know I’m gonna need it because of senior-year work,” Kreiz said. “I’m really excited to see how they change it, though, and know it will be really beneficial to future Harvard-Westlake students.”