Remembering Donald (Trey) Brown III

L. Wood

Donald (Trey) Brown III ’25 was a devoted son, caring brother and beloved member of the school community. 

Although he did not arrive at Harvard-Westlake until the 10th grade, Trey quickly forged friendships and extended his warmth and kindness to everyone he encountered. Trey made a significant mark on our community immediately — in the classroom, in the ceramics studio and on the court. At the age of 15, he was one of five teenagers to have a personal narrative published in “Chicken Soup for the Preeteen Soul 21st Anniversary Edition.” Trey played baseball, football, basketball, soccer and track before discovering volleyball as his passion. His dedication to the sport led him to secure a spot as the starting middle blocker on the varsity boys’ volleyball team during his sophomore year — a rare distinction. 

Trey generously dedicated himself to the service of others. Consistent with his commitment to helping people, Trey spent numerous hours volunteering with Teen Line, a hotline run by fellow teenagers to help support young individuals with their mental health. A walk and annual fundraising event, Alive Together, will be held by the Didi Hirsch Center on Oct. 1 to remember and honor those lost.

Trey will be loved and remembered by the Harvard-Westlake community.

988 Suicide Crisis Lifeline – Dial 988. Crisis Text Line – Text HOME to 741741. Trevor Project – Trevor Lifeline: Call 1-866-488-7386. TrevorText: Text TREVOR to 1-202-304-1200. Teen Line – Call 800-852-8336 (6 pm – 10 pm PST). Text TEEN at 839863 (6 pm – 9 pm PST).