Wolverines lose heartbreaker to Cathedral

Tyler Graham

The Wolverines fell to Cathedral 35-28 tonight. This loss drops the team’s record to 1-2 in Angelus League play and 5-3 overall.

The team came into the game as clear underdogs, but after a dominating defensive performance and steady offensive execution in the first half, all signs pointed toward a Wolverine victory. The squad went into halftime up 15-7 and had scored 15 unanswered points before the intermission.

The game was a tale of two halves for the Wolverine defense; in the first half the defense was suffocating, allowing no points in the second quarter, but in the second half Cathedral mixed in a double wing formation with their air-raid attack and saw great success against the Wolverine’s defense.

The bane of the Wolverine’s defense in the second half and throughout the game was giving up explosive plays. Cathedral scored touchdowns of 30, 60, 75, 25, and 79 yards in the game.

The Wolverines offense also had its fair share of explosive plays. Running back Garrett Robinson ’15 scored on a 94-yard touchdown run in the second half and also caught a 60-yard screen pass early in the game. Robinson ran for 143 yards on 25 carries and a touchdown on the day.

Quarterback Marshal Cohen ’16 also added two rushing touchdowns to the offensive output. The Wolverines first points came off of a safety early in the game. The special teams unit was a big reason behind the Wolverines’ first half success; Olan Moon-White ’15 had a few punts that pinned Cathedral deep in their own territory and Alec Dominick ’15 returned a punt blocked by Desmond Butler ’15 for a touchdown just before the half.

The Wolverines had the ball with three minutes left in the game and needed a touchdown to tie the game at 35, but after a few solid runs and multiple completions to get the ball deep into Cathedral territory, Cohen fumbled to effectively end the game.

The Wolverines’ next game is a Halloween showdown at Harvard-Westlake against Salesian.