Basslines and Beyond: Manos Vourgourakis

Printed with permission of Manos Vourgourakis

The crowd quiets down, and the lights flash on as the school’s Jazz Band begins their performance. Hidden beneath thetrumpets and drum lines, Manos Vourgarakis ’25 keeps the rhythm with a smooth bass line. Vourgarakis is a member of the Jazz Explorers, the most advanced jazz ensemble at the school. In addition to performing for the school, he has won awards from both the Spotlight music competition and DownBeat magazine for his performances on the jazz piano and bass.

Vourgarakis said he started out playing classical music and then transitioned to Jazz in the 8th grade.

“[It was when] I joined the jazz band that I actually got into jazz,” Vourgarakis said. “ I liked how different from other genres it was. That’s what got me interested, and I’ve loved it ever since.”

Vourgarakis said he admires different jazz musicians with distinct styles.

“My favorite musicians, composers [and] players are Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea because they’re so unique,” Vourgarakis said. “They’re so individual, and they’re all musicians [that are] not trying to copy anyone else. I admire that, and I think it’s cool.”

Despite this, Vourgarakis said one of the hardest parts of being a jazz musician is finding his own style.

“Being creative and not getting caught up in trends [is challenging],” Vourgarakis said. “I feel like as an artist, I want to be individual [and] distinct, and I don’t want to copy other people or do what they’re doing. I think that the hardest thing is [trying] to differentiate yourself from other people.”

Vourgarakis said he enjoys being able to interact with other student musicians at the school through his participation in a jazz ensemble.

“One of my favorite moments [with the band] was when I was in ninth grade, Vourgarakis said. “The middle school band came to play at the Upper School with all the upper school bands, too. We got to see everyone from the whole jazz program play, and got to talk to with them after the show. It was a lot of fun.”

As an experienced musician, Vourgarakis said it is important for beginning musicians to remember that each person learns at a different pace.

“Everyone has a different pace and a different learning process,” Vourgarakis said. Music especially [is] a journey. No matter how far you progress, no matter how long you’ve been playing, or how much you practice, there’s always something new to learn. That’s what I like about music. You never stop learning, and it’s seemingly endless creativity.”