Molding Creations: Skyler Griswold

Printed with permission of Skyler Griswold

Sitting in a classroom in Feldman Horn, Skyler Griswold ’24 places down a pound of clay on a potter’s wheel. After days of planning, Griswold begins shaping the clay, stopping every few minutes to assess the pot. Satisfied with her work, Griswold stops the wheel. She has just completed the first step in creating her new pot.

Griswold said though she has been interested in three-dimensional (3D) art since she was a child, she began to explore it in greater depth at the school.

“I have always been interested in 3D art, but it became a serious hobby of mine once I was at the middle school and started taking classes,” Griswold said

Griswold said the teachers and curriculum at the school have helped her further explore her interest.

“The curriculum at school [is] amazing, but I think it is the teachers that have helped me to grow as an artist,” Griswold said. “[Middle School Visual Arts Teacher Megan] Cotts is responsible for the start of my journey, but [Upper School Visual Arts Teacher Nicole] Stahl and [Upper School Visual Arts Teacher Gustavo] Godoy have helped me further my abilities at the Upper School.

Griswold said the process of creating a piece of pottery varies, but she tries to follow a structured approach.

“I try to organize my thoughts enough so that I have a clear vision of what I want to make, and then, I see how I can bring it to life,” Griswold said. “I usually start with throwing something on the wheel, and then I find a way to edit the shape of my piece when trimming. The bulk of the work could be in throwing, trimming or glazing. It is always dependent on the piece I am making.”

Griswold said though the process can be demanding, she finds the results make up for the challenges.

“It is not something you learn overnight and is often frustrating,” Griswold said. “So much thought and effort goes into each piece, and seeing the end result always gives me a sense of pride. I would advise someone new to the craft to be patient and to make pieces that they enjoy making. Otherwise, there’s no point in doing it.”