Boys’ water polo wins Mission League for third consecutive year

Justin Tang
Attackers Ben Oerlemans ’24 and Asher Engelberg ’24 cap up before their game against Loyola High School Oct. 25.

The boys’ water polo team defeated Loyola High School 10-7 in an away league game at the University of Southern California’s (USC) Uytengsu Aquatic Center on Oct. 25. The team finished the regular season with an overall record of 18-6 and a league record of 4-0, making them Mission League champions for the third consecutive year.

Goalie James Peace ’24 said playing a league rival in a collegiate pool was a memorable experience.

“The environment was cool,” Peace said. “It’s fun playing at USC, especially knowing I’m going to be playing quite a bit here over the next four years, not for USC, but for [the University of California, Berkeley]. It’s always fun to play against Loyola. They’re our rivals, so it’s always a good game with them.”

Peace said the team is confident in their skills going into the playoffs.

“We’re feeling good,” Peace said. “We know what we need to do [to win]. If we do that, I think we take care of business pretty well. If we can take care of business, we’re all set.”

The team’s next game is the California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section (CIF-SS) quarterfinal at home, with a date and opponent yet to be determined.