Parents’ Association hosts Faculty Appreciation Luncheon

Nathan Wang
Harvard-Westlake Parent’s Association (HWPA) hosted the October Faculty Appreciation Luncheon in partnership with Latin American Parent’s Association (LAPA) Oct. 28.

Harvard-Westlake Parents (HWP) partnered with the school’s Latin American Parent’s Association (LAPA) to host the monthly Faculty and Staff Appreciation Luncheon on the Feldman-Horn Gallery

LAPA provided many traditional desserts including alfajores de maicena, milhojas, bolitas de Dulce de Leche and palmeritas. . The Faculty Appreciation Committee FAC ordered beef, chicken and vegan tacos, burritos and enchiladas.

World Languages Teacher Bin He said appreciation luncheons make him feel recognized by the school community for his work.

“I really appreciate what [parents] have done for the teachers and Harvard-Westlake,” He said. “I feel like I’m valued by the parents and appreciated by them through this Appreciation Day.”

He said he was glad to get the opportunity to interact with parents during the luncheon.

“Parents are super friendly,” He said. “I always get the chance to talk to some parents because I see their nametags, and also [luncheons are] a good opportunity to reconnect. It’s not an everyday thing. So, I feel like, [appreciation luncheons are] not just for the teacher appreciation, but also a way to connect with community members.”

HWP Administrative Vice President Grace Tang (Eddie ’26) said appreciation luncheons are meant to provide a variety of appetizing food for faculty and staff.

“As always, [the FAC] ordered salad,” Tang said. “They were not as popular as usual because the [main] dishes were so great. We even have people return to grab more food.”

Parent volunteer Anita Otaño (Zion ’24) said the appreciation luncheons are meant to show parents’ gratitude for the difficult job of teachers and staff.

“I feel like teachers are so helpful with our children, and [parents] should honor them at least once a month [to] let them know that we appreciate all that they do,” Otaño said. “Teaching is a hard job. As parents, we realize that not only are [teachers] dealing with [students] academically, but they’re dealing with [student’s] social and emotional welfare.”