Students participate in walk to support causes of fighting Alzheimer’s disease

Audrey Kim
The school’s team stands together at the Walk to End Alzheimer’s Oct. 28.

A small team of students from the school participated in the annual Walk to End Alzheimer’s at LA Live on Oct. 28. Students raised over $4000 to fund research for an Alzheimer’s cure.

Lisa Cheng ’26, founder of the Alzheimer’s Caring Club, said her motivation to help end Alzheimer’s and her drive to run the club is very personal to her.

“My grandmother got Alzheimer’s disease the year when I was born,” Cheng said. “As a result, I get to see the gradual progression of her disease as I grow up. This really motivated me to fight against this disease. Over the years, my family is also highly dedicated to Alzheimer’s charity work including fundraising, starting a ‘memory cafe’ in our neighborhood, etc. My family’s passion highly motivates me to do more independent work now when I’m in high school.”

Cheng said she had a meaningful experience with other students at the walk.

“One of the highlights has definitely been walking on the stage with other teenagers, even some smaller children, holding the white flower, which represents people who recovered from Alzheimer’s disease,” Cheng said. “I feel really proud because I was able to represent not only our school, but youth members of the association to be the future of the fight against Alzheimer’s disease.”

Participant Jane Zhang ’26 said the event was a great opportunity for learning and service.

“I really enjoyed the walk and noticing how so many people, and their pets, are joining together as a community to support such a great cause,” Zhang said. “It was an awesome experience getting to learn more about the disease, and I am really glad that I was able to do something on my part to support this. My favorite part about the walk was seeing people from different communities supporting each other in something they share great significance for.”

Zhang said she admires Cheng’s leadership in organizing the club at school.

“I think Lisa’s Harvard-Westlake Alzheimer’s Club is extremely meaningful,” Zhang said. “Because there are more and more people with Alzheimer’s in our society, it is important that we give more attention and care to this community. In organizing this club, it also helps raise awareness among students at our school. I respect her for organizing this, bringing attention and spreading awareness for a disease people should address greater attention to.”