Boys’ water polo defeats Loyola in CIF quarterfinal

Justin Tang
Connor Kim ’25 legs up for a penalty shot in a game against Loyola High School Nov. 2. The Wolverines defeated Loyola 20-15 to advance to the CIF-SS semifinal.

The boys’ water polo team defeated Loyola High School 20-15 at home in the California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section (CIF-SS) Open Division quarterfinal Nov. 2. The Wolverines will travel to Newport Harbor High School for the semifinal match against Newport Harbor on Nov. 8.

The team trailed 5-3 to Loyola after the first quarter before going on a 4-0 run to take the lead. Center Otto Stothart ’25 said the team’s slow start was a result of their poor preparation.

“[The game] is all in our warm-up,” Stothart said. “If it’s a better warm-up, then we’re all locked in. We were kind of messing around a little since we beat [Loyola] last week, but next time we definitely need a better warm-up.”

Stothart said the team is excited to have another chance against Newport Harbor.

“We have our gameplan, but really it’s just going into the game with confidence,” Stothart said. “We know we can beat them. We beat them before, so why not again?”