Starbucks Coffee renovation ends

READY+TO+REOPEN%3A+Alcove+and+Ventura+Starbucks+employees+serve+guests+Nov.+11%2C+the+first+day+back+after+a+three-week+long+renovation.+
Nathan Wang
READY TO REOPEN: Alcove and Ventura Starbucks employees serve guests Nov. 11, the first day back after a three-week long renovation.

The Starbucks location on Ventura and Alcove was temporarily closed for renovations from Oct. 22 to Nov. 11. The renovations, led by PR Construction Inc., featured changes to the store’s bar location, tiling and storage system.

The recent renovations were a response to the high number of thieves in the area, according to workers at the store. The location reduced the number of seats inside, becoming a grab-and-go coffee shop.

The Studio City property crime rate is in the 65th national percentile, according to CrimeGrade. Frequent crimes have compelled other shops to take similar action. The Vineland and Ventura Starbucks Locations planned similar renovations in an attempt to deter thieves and combat the rising crime rate, according to CBS Los Angeles.

Starbucks barista Beatrice Roque said the renovation has provided employees with more space to make drinks.

“[The renovation] helped us because one of the biggest struggles we had [before it] was our space issue,” Roque said. “It [made] us crowded, and we couldn’t function properly as a store. Now that we’ve been given all this space, we can be more organized.”

Roque said though business has been slow since the reopening, she hopes that old customers will return soon.

“The [foot] traffic has been so-so,” Roque said. “[It is] nothing too crazy. I feel like [the community is] still getting used to the idea that we’re open. But hopefully when the community sees that we’re here now, and that we’re here to stay now, [they will] come back.”

Aviv Pilipski ’25 said he frequented another coffee shop during the renovations and that it has now become his go-to place for drinks.

“Prior to the renovation, Starbucks was my top choice, both because of its physical proximity to the school, and because it was just the default hangout spot among my friends and [I],” Pilipski said. “During the renovations, however, I found myself going to Philz instead and enjoyed it much more. Philz is a bit more of a trek from the school, but I will continue to be a loyal customer post-renovation.”

Studio City Alfred Coffee Barista Michael* said foot traffic increased to Alfred while Starbucks was under construction.

“We realized [there were] more customers coming this way, [and] more traffic,” Michael said. “We’re a new store [on Ventura], and we have another store located not too far from here. A lot of word is getting out about this location, so that helps a lot. Since the Starbucks is closed, it is helping us a lot.”

Ralph’s Employee Robert* said the newly-renovated store lacks the coziness and warmth of the former store design.

“It was cozy,” Robert said. “That [Starbucks] is one of the first ones I’ve been to, because I don’t really go to Starbucks. [The old Starbucks] was very convenient, too.”

*Name has been changed