Delegates win awards at UCSB Triton Model United Nations

Printed with permission of the Model United Nations team

The Model United Nations (MUN) team won several awards at Triton MUN at the University of California San Diego on Oct. 28, their first conference of the school year.

The team won the “Outstanding Small Delegation” award and Owen Huang ’24 and Luke Madden ’24 both won Best Delegate awards. Additionally, Sophia Bakhtiari ’25 was awarded an Honorable Mention and Alex Rho ’25 received a Verbal Commendation.

Huang said he appreciated that his role allowed him to learn about this point in history by immersing himself in the negotiation process.

“I had a great time representing the Japanese delegate to the Paris Peace Conference at the conclusion of World War I,” Huang said. “This is a role that has historically been overlooked, so acting it out in negotiations offered me a chance to step inside a history not commonly remembered. Despite the importance of Japanese demands for colonial territories, I was able to use policies like the country’s racial equality proposal for the League of Nations.”

Isleen Lee ’26, a new member of the team, said that she was apprehensive about her first conference, but quickly adjusted to the environment.

“I thought it would be very confusing and hard to keep up with at first, but everyone, including the chair, was very nice, so the experience was great for a first one,” Lee said.