Students Against Sexual Violence offers SafeBAE certification to Sophomores

Printed with permission of safebae.org.

Students Against Sexual Violence (SASV), run by Olivia Suddleson ’24, Ellie Whang ’24 and Illi Kreiz ’24, has offered sophomore students the opportunity to become SafeBAE (Safe Before Anything Else) certified, with opportunities for Juniors and Seniors in February. SafeBAE teaches students sexual violence prevention methods and enables them to become peer educators in their communities.

Counselor and Interdisciplinary Studies Teacher Michelle Bracken said the training is an invaluable tool to convey information to teens and adults within the school.

“The school started this program because it is [crucial] information [which is] very relevant for 16-18 year olds,” said Bracken. “The students who go through the training and work with SASV are dedicated to bringing awareness about this [sexual violence] to our community. Their involvement is priceless.”

Students who complete SafeBAE training are also able to help SASV with their upcoming presentation on sexual violence prevention to the sophomore class. Bracken said student participation is paramount to the success of the program.

“This presentation offers so much helpful information [about the prevention of sexual violence] and teaches students how to help others,” said Bracken. “It is [far more effective] than an adult trying to convey the same information.”