Wolverines take first league win with fourth quarter comeback

Down by two goals with seven minutes remaining, the varsity lacrosse team responded with a 5-1 run to close the game, defeating Chaminade (2-3 overall, 0-1 in Mission League) 10-8 on the road to get its first league win on Saturday evening.

Coming off of a solid non-league win over Oaks Christian on Friday night, Harvard-Westlake continued its momentum early on, jumping out to a 4-1 first quarter lead over the Eagles (ranked 13th in Los Angeles county in the most recent MaxLaxLA coaches’ poll). Chaminade briefly took the lead back by dominating the third quarter by a score of 4-0, but the Wolverines (ranked third in the same poll) came back with a strong offensive effort in the last frame to get back to .500 in league play.

Harvard-Westlake (4-1 overall, 1-1 in Mission League) will get a few days of rest after two consecutive victories, next heading into a massive non-league matchup with Palos Verdes (1-1 overall, 0-0 in Bay League), the top ranked team in the MaxLaxLA coaches’ poll. In the last meeting between the two schools, the Wolverines upset the Sea Kings 9-7 in the 2013 Southern Section Northern Division Championship Game. This year’s matchup will take place at Ted Slavin Field at 5:45 p.m. on Wednesday night.