Squad loses in quarterfinals

Despite sealing its 19th Mission League title in a row, the girls’ water polo team was defeated in the quarterfinals of the CIF-SS Division III playoffs by Martin Luther King High School Feb. 21.

The squad entered the playoffs coming off of three straight victories over Louisville, Alemany and non-conference foe Palos Verdes. The Wolverines finished with a 12-0 league record and had a goal differential of 113.

“There is definitely some pressure on us going into next season to stay undefeated in Mission League play and win the league again,” Helene Miles ’16 said. “As a senior next year, I would love to keep up our success in the Mission League and lead by example for the younger players.”

The team entered the postseason as the top team from the Mission League and the seventh seed in the bracket. The girls defeated California High School 14-7 in a matchup at Copses Family Pool Feb. 18. Miles led the team with five goals in the game.

However, in its next game against second-seeded Martin Luther King High School, seventh-seeded Harvard-Westlake was overmatched. The squad dropped its quarterfinal 12-4 to the eventual CIF-SS Division III finalists.

“I think that we gained some valuable experience by playing against some physical girls in the playoffs,” Senior Captain Sophia Gonzalez ’15 said. “Now, the players returning next year will be expecting how physical the opponents in the future will be.”

Ultimately, the team feels that this year’s playoff run was beneficial despite not winning the CIF Championship. Since the team had only one senior, the Wolverines believe that they have gained valuable experience to make a playoff run next season.