Wrestling cut from Mission League final, now looks for individual wins

Printed with permission of Darlene Bible
Alec Avedissian ’25 looks to break an opponent’s hold. The wrestling team has lost two of five dual meets this year, and is now looking to have success in Mission League individuals.

The boys’ wrestling team has currently won two out of five dual meets in Mission League play.

In their most recent meet, they lost by one point against Bishop Alemany due to forfeiting. Since the opponent had more wrestlers in each weight class, the team lost several individual matches, which cost them many points and ultimately led to a loss.

Consequently, the team failed to qualify for Mission League finals, but certain wrestlers were selected to Mission League individuals.

Select wrestlers will look to return to the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Individuals and Masters, most notably Cutter East ’24. East secured first place in the Downey 32 Way tournament earlier this season.

Following the Mission League competition, qualifying individual wrestlers will be selected from each round to advance to CIF Individuals, Masters and then State.

Nathaniel Levin ’25 said despite the loss to Bishop Alemany, many wrestlers still performed.

“We forfeited several matches in each dual meet, which led to us losing,” Levin said. “The losses hurt because we wrestled better than them and won the majority of the matches that we wrestled.”

Likewise, Henry Rutherford ’25 said the loss to Bishop Alemany was unfortunate.

“Even though I individually won, our team lost to theirs because of forfeits,” said Rutherford. “That really frustrated me because of how hard our guys have been working. It’s [good] though because the season isn’t over, and we will face them in the mission tournament this year.”

Alec Avedissian ’25 said he has learned to embrace the adversity of practice, and he has continued to push himself further throughout the season.

“Originally I didn’t like it,” Avedissian said. “I would feel my stomach drop on my way to practice because I was so uncomfortable, but I always found that no matter how nervous I was going into practice, I always left feeling glad that I endured it. Wrestling is a sport with the most work and the smallest material reward at the end of the tunnel. This alone makes it worth it for me.”

Individuals will be at Crespi Carmelite High School Feb. 3.