Lacrosse tops St. Francis, clinches playoff berth

In a late night matchup on Tuesday, the varsity lacrosse team emerged victorious over St. Francis, rebounding from a tough loss on Friday with an 18-10 win over the Golden Knights (4-10 overall, 0-8 in Mission League). The Wolverines clinched a top-three spot in the Mission League with the win, ensuring themselves a spot in the 16-team CIF Southern Section Northern Division playoff bracket.

Harvard-Westlake had been blown out by elite Orange County squad St. Margaret’s by a score of 17-6 on Friday, but responded well on Tuesday, jumping out to a double digit lead in the first half. In order to rest up for the squad’s two later games this week, numerous subs played out the string for the Wolverines, but Harvard-Westlake still took a comfortable eight-goal win to sweep its first ever season series with the Golden Knights.

Despite the win on Tuesday, Harvard-Westlake (8-5 overall, 4-2 in league) is eliminated from contention for the Mission League title, due to Loyola’s still-unblemished league record. The Wolverines are next in action on Wednesday evening, when they will host Oak Park (8-6 overall, independent) for a 5:45 p.m. start. Oak Park won the teams’ most recent matchup 13-11 in March 2013, and is currently ranked eighth in the MaxLaxLA coaches’ poll, while the Wolverines are currently in seventh.