Club raises funds to support Middle Eastern refugees in immigration

Erin Ryu
Students peruse through the First Generation and Immigrant Ally Club (1GIAC) bake sale on the Quad. Proceeds were donated to Middle Eastern refugees immigrating to the United States.

First Generation and Immigrant Ally Club (1GIAC) hosted a fundraiser to benefit the non-profit Miry’s List on the Quad on Jan. 12. The proceeds from the bake sale went towards supporting the resettlement of Middle Eastern refugee families in the United States (U.S.).

Club leader Natalie Ascorra ’24 said one of her goals for the fundraiser was to show first generation students that the school is a welcoming place to embrace their culture.

“I hope that [first] generation students [are] able to feel comfortable being able to hold fundraisers like this,” Ascorra said. “I want the school to be a safe space that I didn’t have in my sophomore year. I want students to have that safe space [so] that they can speak up, so that they are proud of where they come from, [which is] a huge aspect of someone’s identity.”

Club member Dhara Jobrani ’26 said it is essential for the school to continuously support the aid of immigrants.

“I hope the student body realizes it is important for the U.S. [to] help immigrant families, as we are a nation built on the backs of immigrants,” Jobrani said. “It doesn’t mean that other causes don’t deserve as much attention, but that there is enough support to go around to all causes, especially the immigration problem, which is extremely prevalent today.”

Joya Roy ’26, who donated to the fundraiser, said the bake sale was important as it gave students an opportunity to help immigrants in need.

“Most of my peers can only imagine how difficult it is to leave your home country for a better life and could understand what a profound impact organizations, such as Miry’s List, could have on helping refugees,” Roy said. “I think people should donate to the cause because it’s a good opportunity to help refugees who have often left everything to come to the U.S.”