Corrin wins state title, Florent takes 4th

Courtney Corrin ’16 won the girls’ track and field CIF State Finals in the long jump event Saturday at Buchanan High School in Clovis, and Alexandria Florent ’15 took fourth place in the high jump event. Corrin also placed seventh in the 300-meter hurdles.

This was Corrin’s second victory, as she also took the title in 2013. She repeated history Saturday by leaping the same winning distance of 20 feet 10 inches that she had jumped in 2013.

Though she placed sixth in the 300-meter hurdles preliminaries Friday with a school record time of 42.41 seconds, she slowed down and dropped down a tier in the championship with a final time of 42.79 seconds.

Florent, who made school history as the first member of the track and field program to go to state all four years of her high school career, jumped five feet seven inches but was unable to clear the five feet nine inches mark.

With 17 total points during Saturday’s finals (12 from Corrin and five from Florent), the girls’ varsity team placed eighth in California, marking the fifth consecutive year that the squad has finished in the top 10. In addition, Corrin’s long jump title marks the sixth consecutive year that a Wolverine has won an individual championship at the track and field state finals (joining Amy Weissenbach ’12 in 2010-12, Cami Chapus ’12 in 2011, herself in 2013 and David Manahan ’14 in 2014), which is the longest active streak for any school in the state.

Florent will conclude her career as a Wolverine before taking her talents to Wake Forest University by competing in both the 25th annual New Balance Nationals Outdoor from June 19 to June 21 in Greensboro, North Carolina, and the Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada, from July 20 to July 26.