Swimming and Diving begins season off strong

Swimmers jump off blocks for a relay race between the school and Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy (FHSA). The Boys’ Swim and Dive team will compete against Loyola on March 21, and the girls’ team will compete against Immaculate Heart on March 21.

The boys’ and girls’ swimming and diving teams are currently undefeated after competing in three meets.

In the first meet of the season Feb. 24, the girls defeated Louisville 133-33 and Notre Dame 113-53, and the boys defeated Notre Dame 121-40 and Crespi Carmelite 127- 42. In the annual Justin Carr Friday Night Lights game hosted by the school Feb. 23, both teams won. In their third meet Feb. 29, the girls defeated Flintridge Sacred Heart and Marlborough while the boys defeated Sierra Canyon and St. Francis.

Swimming and Diving Program Head Jason Schwarz said he is proud of the swimmers’ performance, having qualified for several California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) events already.

“We are off to a great start,” Schwarz said. “From a CIF standpoint we have qualified a number of our relays already and some individual swimmers have made their times they need to get to CIF. We’ve had some quality wins and building on that success is our goal.”

Co-captain Lily Neumann ’24 said the objective for the swimmers this year is to with the Mission League title in May.

“As a team our main goal is to win the Mission League title this year,” Neumann said. “We are undefeated in our dual meets and have had great races overall. The past two meets were big wins for us and we’re hoping to carry our momentum through the rest of the season. We have a few important meets coming up, so we’re preparing for those as best as we can.”

Outside the pool, the teams are emphasizing team spirit and bonding this year. Co-captain Logan Binder ’24 said she is looking forward to building connections with her new and old teammates.

“The relationships I make on the team are very important to me and ones I hold close to my heart,” Binder said. “I really want to work more on getting everyone to cheer each other on during the meets. I know it can be hard when you have such a large team like swim, but I think it’s important for everyone on the team to support one another. I also plan to do more team bonding activities with the girls’ team, so everyone gets to know each other better and have some fun off the deck. I know I missed this during my underclassman years and really want to change that for my final season.”

Co-captain Evette Um ’24 said that she values the relationships she has built on the swim team and hopes to cultivate a more team-oriented environment this year.