Journalism programs earn national distinctions

Staff members of the Chronicle received nine Gold Circles from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association in six categories. The Big Red sports magazine received Gold Circles in four categories.

Vivian Lin ’16, Mady Madison ’17 and Sacha Lin ’16 each won a Gold Circle in art/illustration: hand drawn.

Teresa Suh ’17 won an award for her photograph in the single spot news photograph category.

Jacob Goodman ’15 and Su Jin Nam ’16 were Gold Circle recipients for their “In Harm’s Way” feature page design.

Henry Vogel ’16 won two Gold Circles, one in the sports page tabloid format and another in single sports photograph.

Pim Otero ’16 and Jonathan Seymour ’16 received a Gold Circle for their feature package “Have You Met Molly?”

Sharon Chow ’16 also won an award in the same category for her feature package “Changing Faces.”

The Chronicle is also a finalist for the National Pacemaker, the highest journalism award given by the National Scholastic Press Association.

Vivian Lin ’16, the creative director of the Chronicle, is among ten other finalists in the NSPA’s Design of the Year Contest for her “Fear Factor” illustration, published in April.

Winners will be announced at the National High School Journalism Convention in Orlando on Nov. 14, where some staff members will be in attendance.

The 2014-2015 Chronicle is among 11 newspapers to be a finalist in the tabloid 17 or more pages category, and about half of them will win Pacemakers.

Additionally, the 2014-2015 edition of the Spectrum received the George H. Gallup Award from Quill and Scroll, an international honorary society for high school journalists.

For the last two years that Spectrum has entered, it won the top honor.

“It is nice that we have been successful both times, but it is a very high bar to set early on,” Spectrum adviser Steve Chae said.