Auction to benefit Justin Carr Wants World Peace Foundation

The Justin Carr Wants World Peace Foundation and the Art Department hosted a silent art auction during the three performances of the winter play “As You Like It” from Feb. 5 through Feb. 7. The auction was extended to continue though Feb. 13.
Art made by current art students was auctioned. Pieces created by Justin Carr ’14, who passed away in 2013, were also auctioned. The pieces were sold during intermissions and shortly after the three performances.
The foundation will be giving all of the proceeds to underserved schools to pay for art and math tutoring. The foundation also works to raise awareness of idiopathic hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, the heart disease that unexpectedly took Carr’s life.
Susan and Darrell Carr, his parents, began the foundation after Carr’s death, saying they were inspired when their son asked for world peace when he was four years old.
Marianne Hall, a visual arts teacher, along with Audrey Chambers ’15 organized the event and worked with the foundation to make it happen.
“I was inspired to create a silent auction to memorialize Justin Carr,” Chambers said. “I hope to raise as much money as possible for a great cause.”
Chambers’ goal is to raise a total of $2500 through the auction.
“This is the first year of ‘Art Gives,’ so I wasn’t sure what to expect,” Chambers said. “But I am continually pleased and surprised by the support I have received from Harvard-Westlake and its art community in seeing my vision come to light.”
“On the bidding side of things, one challenge I faced was how to walk a fine line between directing the attendees of the play to the auction without taking away from Mr. Moore’s wonderful show. In the end, I believe the posters, flyers and brief announcements achieved the right balance of publicity.”