Seniors anticipate final decisions

Phillip* The Athlete

Phillip is finally done with the college process, as long as he doesn’t suddenly drop to an F average or commit a felony, he said.

Last Saturday, he received what is colloquially referred to as a “likely letter” from Princeton University, guaranteeing his admission as long as he maintains “the excellent academic and personal standards that have characterized his performance until now,” the letter said.

“It feels really good,” Phillip said. “I’m really glad the recruitment process is over,” Phillip said.

He said his parents are relieved; especially his mom who witnessed how stressed he felt as he navigated the recruiting season. After he told the coach that he wanted to commit, Phillip said the coach talked to admissions while he waited to hear.

“This is pretty much an ideal situation,” Phillip said. “It’s a cool feeling.”

Francesca* The All Around

Francesca will hear from most of the schools she applied to at the end of March or in early April.

“I just want to know,” Francesca said. “As it’s getting closer and closer I’m getting more and more nervous about decisions.”

She is debating whether or not to open her online letters at the time they are available because she will be on a school trip for a performing arts class at the time. If she does not wait till she gets home she is worried about being either elated or heart-broken with peers who are also facing decisions at the same time. Francesca is glad, however to have a “safety net” since she is already in to University of Michigan.

“I’m completely happy with going to Michigan,” Francesca said. “I’ve heard great things about the social scene and the academics.”

Doug* The Brainiac

While Doug found out last Friday that he was accepted to Washington University in Saint Louis, he was not accepted to their eight year medical program, nor did he win the merit scholarships he applied for.

“At this point there’s no real incentive to go,” Doug said.

He did, however, have an overall positive experience on his visit and interview weekend for University of Southern California’s Presidential scholarship. “It was nice because it let me see USC,” Doug said.

Doug, like most seniors, is just waiting for decisions.

“I’m still sort of relaxed about it and distracted by thinking about other things,” Doug said. “Coming from Harvard-Westlake, I’ll get in somewhere. Hopefully I will have some choices.”

Arthur* The Artist

Not much is new with Arthur except that his senioritis has worsened.

“Homework is kind of going out the door,” Arthur said.

As he waits for information on housing and classes from Brown University, Arthur is just trying to enjoy his senior year, though, he admits that not doing his homework for some classes has repercussions.

“Class is a lot more confusing than it used to be,” Arthur said.

As he works on multiple performing arts projects both in and out of school he says he is trying to “focus on the journey not the destination.”

*names have been changed