Winterfest celebrations begin

The annual Winterfest celebration began Monday and will continue throughout the week to spread holiday cheer in the lead up to Winter Break. Each day this week will have a different dress-up theme, and for the first time this year, a different movie will be played in the lounge every day. The festivities were planned and run by Prefect Council in conjunction with Social Committee.

On Monday, dubbed “Merry Monday,” students were originally asked to dress up in their most festive holiday clothing, but in light of the recent events in Connecticut, Prefect Council asked students in an email Sunday to wear Sandy Hook Elementary School’s school colors, green and white. During break, the ARC Bell Choir performed three songs and the Jazz Singers sang two songs, while students decorated gingerbread cookies, played pin the nose on the reindeer, took pictures with Santa and participated in Hanukkah games. Before the performances started, Head of Upper School Audrius Barzdukas asked for a moment of silence in remembrance of the victims. The movie played was “Elf”.

“I loved watching ARC perform,” junior prefect Ashley Sacks ’14 said. “Their performances are always so touching and our community responds so well to them.”

Tuesday was “Tacky Sweater Tuesday” and “Home Alone” was screened while today is “Onesie Wednesday,” in which students were encouraged to wear onesies or pajamas. “Mean Girls” will be the movie in the lounge today.

Tomorrow is “Thankful Thursday” where students can sign cards for the Children’s Hospital in the lounge while watching “The Polar Express.” Friday will be “Flannel Friday” and “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” will be shown.

All throughout the week, Wintergrams that were purchased last week will be delivered to class meetings. Additionally, there is a school-wide Secret Santa gift exchange for the first time this year.

“Our main goal is to bring the community together, to have fun and celebrate the holidays and the activities planned are sure to be enjoyed by everyone,” Sacks said.