Fewer than 100 players left in campus Assassin game

The HW Assassin app is available for iPhone and Android. Printed with permission of James Lennon

A record number of 441 students signed up to participate in this year’s campus-wide game of Assassin, 344 of whom have been “killed” since the game began Tuesday.

Students who are participating in the fifth annual game, organized by moderators Will Burford ’16 and Sid Kucheria ’16, are using the HW Assassin app, available for both iOS and Android.

“The app has been working fairly well this year,” Burford said. “While there are some reports of crashes, it hasn’t gotten in the way of the game as the players have been able to record their take downs in other ways. I think that people are enjoying the app since they can watch everybody’s take downs even if they don’t see them in person.”

After the targets are assigned on the app, the player’s goal is to assassinate a given target. In order to eliminate a target, the player must sneak up behind his or her target and say “bang” while pointing their hand at their target’s back. Safe zones include the library and in-session classrooms.

“My favorite part about the game is the rush of getting a kill,” Lexi Scher ’17 said, who has killed three people so far. “I rarely make a kill unless it’s the perfect opportunity because I think it’s not worth the energy of chasing people around.”

Participants record and submit their kills with the app in order to continually update the game. When a player is eliminated, he or she must confirm the kill so that his or her killer can receive their new target.

Players can also view other kill videos, see the location of kills and find out who the top players are on the app. The game will finish when only one player is left.

“I think the most important thing for the students is winning,” Kucheria said. “But other than that, I think it’s how close the game makes the community and how students interact with people they wouldn’t normally interact with.”