CBS airs tribute to Justin Carr ’14

Los Angeles CBS Channel 2 aired a segment on Justin Carr ’14 Monday, Aug. 12.

The segment, which aired at 11 p.m., was a tribute to Carr, who died of cardiomyopathy during swim practice in February.

The piece covered Carr’s passions, which ranged from architecture to swimming, as well as his death and his parents’ decision to found the Justin Carr Wants World Peace Memorial Fund.

His mother, Susan Carr, said the piece’s focus on his whole life appealed to her and his father, Darrell Carr.

“It will be more about what he liked to do and his passions for art, and then a little bit of what happened,” Susan Carr said before the segment aired.

Television stations began approaching the Carrs shortly after their son’s death, but they weren’t ready to talk and didn’t like the pressure being put on them to do a story, Susan Carr said.

“It wasn’t a sensational story, you know?” she said.

The Carrs accepted CBS feature news producer Ray Bell’s proposal because he had a connection to their son that the other stations didn’t.

About a year and a half ago, Carr was attending an early morning backstage tour of the El Capitan Theatre while Bell and his CBS crew were filming there, Susan Carr said. When Bell found out that Carr was the grandson of Burl Toler, the first black on-field official in the National Football League, he askedto film a documentary on Toler and interviewed Carr in October about him. (The interview can be found here.)

“We felt that since he had a personal connection to Justin, he was the best to share his story,” Susan Carr said.

The CBS segment can be found here: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/video/9192544-parents-struggle-with-sudden-death-of-teen-son-who-collapsed-in-harvard-westlake-pool/