Costume classes to visit downtown fashion district

Theatrical Costume Design I-II students will take an optional field trip to downtown Los Angeles Sept. 26 to enhance their class projects.

Students will get materials for future projects and learn more about costume design.

“[The] administration is really supportive of field trips. They see a huge value in getting kids off campus and exposing them to the broader LA area,” costume design teacher Lisa Peters said.

Students from Peters’ Introduction to Theatrical Costume Design I–II class along with her directed studies students are all welcome to go on the trip.

“I’ve never been to the fabric district so I’m hoping it will be a really fun experience,” costume design student Marisa Hattler ’16 said. “We will also be going to an exhibition at Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, which should be very interesting.”

The group will leave at 8 a.m. and will return by 5 p.m.

The group will visit many fabric stores, including  Michael Levin, Inc., where Peters usually buys most of her fabrics.

Students have the option to buy fabrics, trims and beads for their projects throughout the year.

The full group of students will also stop by the Fashion Bookstore that specializes on books on fashion, and FIDM, which has an exhibit on television costume design.

“Costume Design is my favorite class and I am really excited to go on the field trip and see the exhibit at FIDM because I have gained an appreciation for how much work is put in to costume design,” Emma Graham ’15 said. “Costumes really convey the story and the time period of a performance so it will be nice to see that in person.”