Teacher organizes journalist film screening, Q&A session

A documentary honoring the life of award-winning photojournalist Tim Hetherington, who was killed in Libya while working on a documentary, will be screened Oct. 1.

A question-and-answer session with Hetherington’s personal friend and Human Rights Watch employee Peter Bouckaert will be held after the film.

Upper school performing arts teacher Ted Walch is a former teacher and friend of Bouckaert, who is a graduate of Stanford Law School, and invited him to visit and speak after the documentary, which chronicles the life of Hetherington and his numerous wartime experiences.

Bouckaert, who is the director of the emergencies division at the Human Rights Watch, will answer questions about Hetherington and working at the Human Rights Watch.

The film is titled “Which Way is the Front Line from Here?” which Hetherington asked after he was hit by a mortar attack in Libya and fatally injured.

“The film seeks to honor Tim Hetherington and implicit in the film is the idea that if you are going to be in the action, you have to own it,” Walch said. “You can’t be on the sidelines.”

Hetherington visited countries like Afghanistan and Liberia during periods of civil war and bloodshed and captured events through photography and video.

One of his documentaries, which followed an Army platoon during its service in Afghanistan, was a 2011 Academy Award nominee for Best Documentary and winner at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival in the documentaries category.

“Unlike so many war photographers, he engaged with the people he was interacting with,” Walch said. “He tried to help and work with the people he was interacting with instead of passively observing their actions.”

The screening and Q&A session will be held in Ahmanson Lecture Hall from 7 to 9 p.m. Attendees of the event must email receptionist Lynn Miller at [email protected]. The film is also available on the “HBO Go” online movie streaming service.