School hosts Special Olympics event for preschoolers

Jordan Goldstein 17 leads a group of preschoolers to Ted Slavin Field in advance of a Special Olympics event. Credit: Pavan Tauh/Chronicle
TAUH
Jordan Goldstein ’17 leads a group of preschoolers to Ted Slavin Field in advance of a Special Olympics event. Credit: Pavan Tauh/Chronicle

Students high-fived and cheered on preschoolers as they participated in events ranging from walking across a balance beam to running around cones during the Special Olympics Young Athletes Festival Dec. 2.

“It was so rewarding to be a part of the Special Olympics because I got to see the pure joy on the children’s faces,” Ayanna Frey ’18 said.

The event occurred between second and third periods on Ted Slavin Field.

Upward of 200 preschoolers ages 3 to 6 from Los Angeles Unified School District participated.

Carolyn Kim '18 high-fives a preschooler taking part in a Special Olympics event Dec. 2. Credit: Pavan Tauh/Chronicle
Carolyn Kim ’18 high-fives a preschooler taking part in a Special Olympics event Dec. 2. Credit: Pavan Tauh/Chronicle

Prior to the start of the events, students lined up in two circles around the field to form a “tunnel of love” and applaud for the preschoolers as they arrived. The Head Fanatics then encouraged students and faculty to cheer for the athletes.

The preschoolers also took part in obstacle courses and bean bag tosses.

The event was organized by Community Council in partnership with Special Olympics Southern California.

According to their website, Special Olympics is the “world’s largest sports organization for people with intellectual disabilities.”