8 seniors selected for scholars program

Eight seniors have been chosen by the Commission on Presidential Scholars in the United States Department of Education to be candidates for the Presidential Scholars Program. The seniors are Zoë Bohn ’14, Jonathan Burns ’14, Claire Goldsmith ’14, Vincent Huang ’14, Michelle Lee ’14, Kelsey Ogomori ’14, Jacob Pardo ’14 and Divya Siddarth ’14.

According to the Commission on Presidential Scholars, the program was established to “recognize students and honor some of our nation’s most distinguished graduating high school seniors.”

The program has since been extended to “recognize students who demonstrate exceptional talent in the visual, creative and performing arts.”

Over 3,000 candidates are identified for the program every year based on their exceptional SAT or ACT scores.

To become one of up to 141 Presidential Scholars, the academic and arts candidates must complete and submit candidacy materials for review, including essays, self-assessments, secondary school reports and transcripts by Feb. 27.

“I will try to become a Presidential Scholar,” Burns said. “The application requires a few essays and a teacher recommendation, which I will need to complete. If I am selected, I will be taking a trip to Washington, D.C. this summer.”

According to the Commission, students selected to be Presidential Scholars will be honored by President Obama for representing “excellence in education.”