Debate team continues streak of success

The debate team received an invitation to participate in the Old Parkland Debates, an invitational World Schools event, in Dallas March 28-29.

In the high school division, five debaters will compete against some of the top debaters in the world.

At the David Damus USC Tournament March 6-8, Nick Steele ’16 placed second and Cameron Cohen ’16 was a semifinalist in the varsity division. In the JV division, Aidan Lucsinski ’17 won first and Liz Yount ’17 won second place; Elly Choi ’18 and Kevin Wesel ’17 were named semifinalists, and Allison Gorokhovsky ’17 was named quarterfinalist.

Sixteen students were asked to participate in the invitation-only Harvard Round Robin.

The Cal Invitational Tournament and corresponding Round Robin also took place on Presidents’ Day Weekend.

The Cal Invitational Tournament had more than 300 entrants. Steele was named double octafinalist, and Connor Engel and Evan Engel were named triple octafinalists, ranking in the top 64.

“It is worth noting that at [The Cal Invitational] tournament our eighth and ninth graders went varsity for the first time at a national circuit tournament,” head coach Mike Bietz said.

The team also had success at a tournament at Stanford University the weekend of February 10. Steele ’16 was named semifinalist and earned a seventh speaker award, and Connor Engel ’17 was named double-octafinalist.

The weekend of March 14-15, the Wolverines competed in The Third Annual Western Championship for Novice and Second Year Debaters at San Francisco State University.

Chasia Jeffries ’17 and Rachel Madhogarhia ’17 advanced to the octafinals in junior varsity Lincoln-Douglas, and competed against each other.

Jeffries advanced to the quarterfinals, and Berlin advanced to the finals in his division.

In the junior varsity division, Jeffries earned eighth speaker award and Madhogarhia earned ninth speaker award.

In the novice division, Choi was awarded seventh speaker.