16 teachers receive grant to visit Korea

Sixteen members of the faculty were granted fellowships to take a trip to Korea this summer, from June 11-23.

The trip, funded by the Gunter Gross Global initiative and Gyu Si and Min Sun Suh (Andy ’18), will include travel to Seoul and Jeju Island.

“As educators, we recognize the importance of having a ‘global perspective’ — an appreciation for the increased interdependence that continues to emerge from globalization —but we seldom have opportunities to broaden and enrich our global perspective through authentic cultural experiences,” wrote Head of School Jeanne Huybrechts wrote in an email to faculty and staff.

“This trip will help faculty become acquainted with Korean culture and history,” said Jim Patterson, director of Kutler Center and summer programs.

The trip holds special importance in the Harvard-Westlake community, which has a large number of Korean families.

“Learning more about the [Korean] history will, hopefully, help us become better educators for these students,” Patterson said.

Faculty members attending will be Anamaria Ayala, Stephen Chae, Emily Feigenson, Karen Fukushima, Celia Goedde, Katherine Holmes-Chuba, Larry Klein, Suzanne Lee, Ken Neisser, Kyong Pak, Rose-Ellen Racanelli, Geoff Robertson, Shoshanna Thomas, Ian Ulmer, Dror Yaron and George Gaskin.