‘A Rose in Winter’

Upper school choirs sang holiday-themed tunes in the annual winter choral concert, titled “A Rose in Winter,” on Sunday Dec. 9 at the First Presbyterian Church of Santa Monica.

The show featured performances from Bel Canto, Wolverine Chorus, Chamber Singers, Jazz Singers and the Treble Tones, a new female a capella addition to the choral program.

“All in all, it was a really good performance,” Chamber Singer Landon Fadel ’15 said. “I thought everyone performed really well.”

A combined group of all ensembles opened the performance and was followed by Bel Canto, the intermediate female choir group. The combined male chorus, featuring singers from both Wolverine Chorus and Chamber Singers, proceeded to perform.

The Treble Tones closed the first act of the concert, performing for the first time ever with a set of three a capella songs.

After a brief intermission, Jazz Singers took the stage, performing three jazz a capella pieces.

The Chamber Singers sang a set of seven songs, after which all ensembles reconvened for two closing numbers.

The concert ended with the annual rendition of “Peace, Peace,” where seniors sang “Silent Night” in harmony with the rest of the choir.

Marcia Dickstein, a professional harpist and Westlake alumna, accompanied the choir on several numbers.

Director of the Choral Music Program Rodger Guerrero said that program has been rehearsing since October for the concert and will not perform again until March.

“It’s a rush,” he said. “It really is an emotional high for two hours that you just don’t come down from. What it is is just a testament to the hard work that they do. Most the campus doesn’t see that, but these kids work very, very hard.”