Middle school faculty revives holiday crafts fair

By Megan Kawasaki

Crafts made by faculty ranging from scarves and pillowcases to photographs and hand-blown glass ornaments will be sold at the middle schools’ faculty craft fair on Dec. 9.

This year’s event will be organized by Susan Kallok, the middle school Dean of Faculty and the Head of the Middle School Library and Technology Department.

Several teachers began the event a few years ago in order to show their creative talents and original works.

Although the event did not take place for a few years after its initial inception, the holiday craft fair returned last year.

“Every day, I enjoy the watercolor in my dining room painted by Harvard-Westlake PE teacher Barbara Welsh,” middle school librarian Carolyn Zucker said.

She enjoys learning about fellow faculty members’ hidden talents.

Some of the newest participants include history teacher Karen Fukushima and Middle School Communications Department Head Jen Bladen.

“I plan on displaying some of the clothing that I’ve knit or sewn and maybe selling a few small baby items, bags, hats, and scarves for the holidays,” Fukushima said.

Middle School Director of Administrative Operations Melissa Zimmerman has always delighted in the event.

“We have very talented people here, and it is so much fun to see another aspect of the people you work with every day,” she said.