Golf takes 4th in league, falls to Loyola, Chaminade

By Daniel Kim

After beating Crespi twice, the varsity boys’ golf team fell twice against Loyola to enter the Mission League tournament with a record of 6-5. The team beat Crespi finishing with a score of 206-221 and again by 214-219. The Wolverines lost to Loyola with a score of 185-202 and again by 187-201.

“It was a combination of a great performance by Loyola and a lack of execution by us,” Andrew Sohn ’13 said. “We did have players that rose up to the occasion including Parker Thomas ’12 who shot a plus-two at Griffith Park [against Crespi].”

In their second loss against Loyola, both Max Goodley ’12 and Bakari Bolden ’14 shot a plus one over par. Both players will be important in the upcoming league and CIF tournaments.

“Scores from players across the board have gotten better, and I am confident we will be able to have a good showing at CIF,” Sohn said.

Charlie Benell ’12 did not play for the Wolverines against Loyola because he was in Texas for a golf tournament. He competed in the American Junior Golf Association tournament and tied for seventh.

Bolden, a rising star in golfing, was featured in the Southern California Golf Association golf magazine Fore. In the magazine, it profiles certain aspects of his life and his involvement in a golf mentoring program.

“Bakari has been playing unbelievably and has proved himself to be one of the leading scorers on the team,” Sohn said. “I will not be surprised if Bakari puts up some good numbers for the big tournaments.”

Coaches trust their athletes to set their own practice schedules, and they do not hold any formal practices, Michael Aronson ’13 said.

Last year, the Wolverines placed third in the Mission League Tournament and third in the Southern Sectional.

“We hope to beat our competitors like Chaminade and Loyola at league, and for individuals we hope to qualify as many individuals for CIF as we can,” Sohn said.