Ball leaves to work for symphony

By Luke Holthouse

Director of Annual Giving Alan Ball will step down from his position at the end of October, 17 years after he first joined Harvard-Westlake. He is leaving to pursue a new career as the associate vice-president for development at the Pacific Symphony in Orange County.

“To be able to work with their donors and work with the people who want to support the orchestra, and the organization, I’m calling it the ‘Tootsie Roll’ opportunity,” Ball said. “It’s all of the good things wrapped up into one.”

After graduating from the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, Ball came to Harvard-Westlake as the instrumental music director at the Middle School in 1994.

“He was someone who could always smile and laugh and not take himself too seriously, and I think the students really responded to him all through his years as a teacher,” Head of Upper School Harry Salamandra said.

Ball transitioned into the Advancement office in 2002. In 2007, he was appointed to his current position. 

President of Harvard-Westlake Thomas Hudnut wrote in an email to faculty informing them last week and thanking Ball “for the inspiration, good cheer, sense of adventure, devotion and hard work that he has shared with students, parents and fellow faculty and staff during his years at Harvard-Westlake.”