Girls Volleyball Returns From Santa Barbara Tournament

By Charlton Azuoma

The girls’ volleyball team went 1-3 in the Santa Barbara Tournament of Champions this weekend, which featured some of the highest ranked teams from all around California.

The team was obviously impacted by the loss of two of their captains to injury, Lucy Tilton ’12 and Katie Price ’12, as they lost their two matches on the opening day against La Costa Canyon (25-22, 25-13, 25-22) and La Costa Canyon (25-22, 25-13, 25-22).

“Even though we didn’t get the results we hoped for I feel that we really gave everything we had no matter who the opponent was,” outside hitter Ally Hirsch’13 said.

The next day however, the team was able to come up with their first win of the weekend in a tight one against Salinas (25-12, 25-18, 18-25, 25-23), before losing to St. Francis (25-18, 25-14, 25-14).
Players on the team agree that tournament allowed them to get some exposure against really good teams, while at the same getting better individually.

“We really benefitted from the experience of competing with some pretty good teams,” outside hitter Nicole Gould ’13 said.

The tournament readies the team for their home match against Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy this Wednesday. This will be Senior Night for the squad, highlighting the contributions of Victoria Pearson ’12, Sofia Davila ’12, Lucy Tilton ’12, and Katie Price ’12 to the volleyball program.