Girls’ water polo wins league opener 17-6

By Luke Holthouse

Two-meter forward Morgan Hallock ’13 found the back of the net seven times today in the girls’ water polo team’s 17-6 win against Notre Dame to open Mission League play. Hallock, who scored a hat trick in yesterday’s 13-12 win over St. Lucy’s, led the team in scoring again despite not playing the majority of the second half. Perimeter player Madeline Abrahams ’14 added five goals. 

The Wolverines improved to 8-2 overall as well as 1-0 in league. The team has won league every year for the past 15 years.

“The entire season is all about improving and getting better every single game,” first-year Head Coach Brian Flacks ’06 said after the win. “We’re not so worried about league, but worried about getting better every game.”

The team plays at Los Osos this Saturday in a rematch of last year’s CIF Championship game.  The Wolverines beat the Grizzlies 10-7 on Feb. 26 last year to win the program’s first ever Div. IV CIF Championship. The Wolverines’ came into this season ranked as the best overall team in Div. IV of the CIF Southern Section. Los Osos was ranked second. 

“Obviously, it should be exciting,” Flacks said. “It’s the number one and number two teams preseason in CIF, and it should be exciting and be a little mid-season test to see how far we’ve come and how far we’ve come and what we need to do to adjust and get better. “